The Advanced Pumping Efficiency Program (APEP) is an educational and incentive program intended to improve overall pumping efficiency and encourage energy conservation in California.
IMPORTANT! The method used for calculating retrofit incentives has changed as of January 19, 2016. Any project started or retrofit incentive application form signed after January 19, 2016 will get no credit for kiloWatt demand savings. The calculation related to kiloWatt-hour energy savings has not changed. Refer to the revised Application Form and/or the Policies and Procedures Manual. Please call us if you have a question regarding this change.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) is funding APEP through 2015 using Public Purpose Programs Funds under the auspices of the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC). The Center for Irrigation Technology (CIT) at California State University, Fresno administers the program.
From 2002 through 2015 (as of 4/30/15) CIT has operated APEP with funding from the CPUC and provided California water pumpers with:
- 2,167 pump retrofit / repair rebates
- Approximately $12,000,000 in incentive rebates for those projects
- 138,800,000 kilowatt-hours saved annually as a result of those projects
- 373,000 therms saved annually as a result of those projects
- 35,404 subsidized pump efficiency tests (approximately $5,000,000 in subsidies)
- 175 educational seminars
IMPORTANT! As part of PG&E’s response to customers who are highly impacted by the current drought PG&E will temporarily increase the incentive rate available for pump retrofits to $0.12/kWh from the current $0.09/kWh. The incentives are offered via the Advanced Pumping Efficiency Program (APEP) and are applicable to retrofit projects that involve retrofit or repair of the pump bowl and/or impeller only. The increase is effective as of 5/15/2014.
To qualify for this promotional incentive rate:
- Projects must meet the guidelines of the Advanced Pumping Efficiency Program (Policies and Procedures Manual v. 4/8/2015)
- The application for the retrofit incentive must be signed between 5/15/2014 and 12/31/2015.